The symptoms and treatment of chronic sinusitis
Chronic sinusitis is a slowly developing disease with periodic exacerbations and improvements. In chronic sinusitis the maxillary sinus is inflamed.
Symptoms and signs
The main symptoms of disease:
- Temperature, chills.
- Persistent runny nose, nasal discharge greenish hue.
- Headache, often in the eye area.
- Nasal congestion.
- The voice becomes nasal.
- Watery eyes.
- Reduced sense of smell.
- In the morning, the eyelids swell.
The symptoms of chronic sinusitis can be divided into three subclasses:
- Subjective symptoms - purulent discharge from the nose, frequent headaches, loss of appetite due to discharge with putrid odor, lack of nasal breathing.
- Objective symptoms - swelling in the region of the eye membranes, dermatitis between the upper lip and nose, swelling of nasal cavities, caries.
- Common symptoms - cough, sneezing, fatigue, headache.
In the cold season there is an exacerbation of chronic sinusitis is determined by a strong weakness, fatigue and all the signs of a cold.
The causes of pathology
Often the reason that in the maxillary sinuses, changes, passing to the chronic form of the disease be microorganisms, which are called streptococci. But sometimes it can be caused by a viral infection. Reasons why sinusitis becomes chronic, can include the following:
- Improper treatment of acute sinusitis, failure to take medications.
- The presence of diseases such as chronic rhinitis or chronic tonsillitis.
- Poor outflow of mucus due to the curvature of the nasal septum. Such a curvature can be congenital or acquired.
- Cysts or polyps in the sinuses.
- Diseases of the teeth, mainly on the upper jaw.
- Pollution and toxicity of air.
- A weak immune system.
- Violation of the permeability of the sinuses.
- Drinking alcohol or Smoking.
Complications of chronic sinusitis
Chronic sinusitis, and other chronic diseases, can leave behind a number of serious complications:
- Infringement of concentration of attention and memory.
- The development of heart disease.
- Constant drowsiness.
- Constant watery eyes.
- Purulent inflammation of the skull bones.
- Partial or complete loss of vision.
- If chronic sinusitis purulent contents enters the brain, there are severe diseases such as meningitis, encephalitis. These complications often result in death of the patient.
- In contact with a purulent content in the blood begins to form sepsis.
- Otitis media, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma.
Treatment of chronic sinusitis
To treat chronic sinusitis in three ways: medications, surgery and therapies.
Treatment sinusitis medication - is primarily to reduce pain, eliminate infections and inflammation.
Improvement in acute sinusitis depends on the extent of the disease. It may come as a few days after the start of treatment and after a few months.
Treatment of chronic sinusitis may take 4 to 8 weeks or more. You should not stop taking antibiotics at the first symptoms of improvement, you need to take the entire course until the end.
Fungal sinusitis does not respond to antibiotics. They are treated with a special antifungal medications or with surgical intervention. To medical treatment in these circumstances include the following events:
- The need to flush the sinuses with natural solution.
- The use of sprays that have anti-inflammatory action.
- Antibiotics with antimicrobial effect.
- Reception antihistamines if the sinusitis develops on the background of allergies.
- During an exacerbation is recommended the use of sprays that reduce swelling of the mucous membranes of the sinuses.
- The use of mucolytics for thinning the mucus and promoting its removal.
- As an auxiliary therapy, you can take vitamins and drugs that increase immunity.
- Puncture, or puncture of the sinuses. This is one of the most common and successful ways. To use a special puncture needle. After puncture, the doctor removes with a syringe of pus from the sinuses, then rinse with antiseptics and introduces a special solution. The patient begins to feel much better immediately following the removal of pus from the sinuses. With the help of puncture, it is possible to eliminate suchsymptoms of acute sinusitis like headache and relieve swelling.
- Upon detection of a deviated nasal septum, you should consult a plastic surgeon. After surgery to correct septum complications do not usually occur because the operation is very simple, and the further treatment of sinusitis is no longer itself.
- Not so long ago appeared the procedure for installing Yamik catheter. This procedure is performed using local anesthesia, and therefore completely painless. Using this method, the perforation of the sinuses is not required.
- Now, in many hospitals doctors recommend to treat sinusitis launched with the help of laser therapy. Using this method of treatment is to achieve a positive result in the shortest possible time. It is possible even not to doubt of sterility for all procedures. Laser treatment is absolutely painless, does not leave behind any traces. A short-term effect of the laser on the affected areas, where less swelling and reduced inflammation. Besides, laser treatment may not cause any allergic reactions in the patient. The laser effectively destroys most viruses and microbes. The only downside to laser treatment is lowered immunity.
There are several methods for the treatment of sinusitis folk remedies, but experts recommend to use these methods with caution and only with doctor's permission.
Inhalation of honey. Boil water, put in a few tablespoons of honey, cover with a towel and inhale the nose this mixture until then, until the water has cooled. Honey has antibacterial properties and helps boost immunity. The process of honey inhalation refers to the traditional methods, combining it with other methods, you can quickly achieve a good result.
Treatment of sinusitis Kombucha.:
- In an enamel pot to heat Kombucha, wet with this solution gauze pads and stick their nostrils. To use this method is preferably not less than 7 hours, but every half hour it is necessary to change a tampon. Acute sinusitis is recommended to be treated by this method is 2-3 days. In chronic sinusitis treatment should be from 6 to 8 days.
- To insist Kombucha for 10 days, then heating the extract and be immersed in his nose. Holding one nostril, to inhale the liquid and blowing her nose, pour it. The other nostril do the same action. The procedure must be repeated at least 12 times a week.
Prevention - the best way to avoid such complicated diseases as chronic sinusitis. The first thing to do is to strengthen immunity, to drink a course of vitamins,eat more vegetables and fruits. To monitor the weather, not to SuperCool. During a cold to not use vasoconstrictor drugs, and oil.