Dry cough and its main causes
When there is dry cough, causes of which can be very different, it is important to take timely action. Only by knowing the etiology of its origin, it is possible to prescribe treatment, as the symptoms will not cure the problem.
The causes that trigger the cough
Cough is a reflex reaction to some stimulus (viral, bacterial, allergic). To break the process of breathing may be a foreign body trapped in the Airways. A dry cough because the lungs do not produce mucus. If it lasts for 3 weeks it is considered acute, more than 3 weeks - chronic.
The main causes of dry cough:
- Acute respiratory disease. Attacks of dry cough are typical in the early stages of disease development.
- The draining of mucus from the nasopharynx. The nose is a filter of the respiratory tract. Sinusitis, viruses and allergens cause nasal membranes to produce more mucus. As its accumulation it begins to flow not only from nose but also to drain down the throat. The process of runoff irritable affects the nerve endings located in the nasopharynx. Creep tickles the throat, thereby causing the occurrence of dry cough.
- Bronchial asthma. Asthma attacks are caused by muscle spasm in bronchial tubes.
- Gastroesophageal reflux. Occurs due to irritation of the nerve endings of the lower esophagus. Stimulus is acid rises from the stomach into the esophagus, not the intestines.
- Chronic bronchitis.
- Drugs. Some medicines such as ACE inhibitors, when used, can cause side effects, in this case a dry cough.
- Smoking, inhaling tobacco smoke or polluted air from the combustion products.
- Foreign objects in the respiratory tract.
- Heart failure.
- The presence of malignant or benign tumors in the lungs.
- Psychological disorders.
The list of reasons that provoke attacks of dry cough, large enough to list all of them quite difficult. It is not always possible to determine the irritant, so if you experience a dry cough, especially if it continues for more than 2 weeks and accompanied by severe pain in your chest, you need to undergo examination. In some diseases, timely treatment to the doctor can save the patient's life.
Peripheralantitussive drugs suppress cough by acting on receptors located in the mucous membrane of the respiratory channels. In addition to suppress attacks of dry cough, drug treatment seeks to transform it in the wet. Expectoration promotes removal from the body harmful microorganisms.
Medication dry cough
Dry cough, the causes of which is due to the presence of a foreign body in the trachea, is sure to be emergency treatment. Foreign object can get into the respiratory tract under different circumstances. Sometimes, the subject came out, coughing enough.
That is, the organism itself cope with the problem of treatment. But if the object is stuck and cannot be removed without medical assistance is necessary. In this case, the delay in assistance can lead to death due to suffocation.
After diagnosis, the doctor selects the appropriate treatment. It will be aimed at addressing the root causes of disease and suppression of the cough reflex. Some cough medicines have a weak narcotic effect, so dosage and selection of drugs should be prescribed by a doctor. For getting rid of debilitating bouts of cough can be drugs Central and peripheral actions. Medication of Central action suppress cough reflex by acting on the medulla oblongata.
As a treatment of dry cough can be assigned to the following groups of drugs:
- Antitussive. They include: Codeine Kodterpin, Libeksin, Stoptussin, and others.
- Antihistamines (Claritin, Diazolin, Palmoral).
- Expectorants and mucolytic action (ACC, Mudalvan, Ambroxol).
- Anesthetic (Lidocaine).
- Anti-Inflammatory (Amoxil, Doxycycline).
The effect of taking pharmaceuticals will be noticeable if you take all prescribed medicines as prescribed in combination with other prescription treatments.
If the cause of dry cough is cancer, the methods of its treatment are aimed at suppressing symptoms. The main treatment will depend on clinical characteristics of tumors, which is selected the appropriate method of treatment.
Non-drug treatment seizures dry cough
Non-pharmacological treatment involves the use of traditional medicine. There are many methods of dealing with bouts of dry cough or transform it in the wet. Relieve the symptoms of dry cough, caused by SARS, you can use warm milk inwhich is added a little soda. Thus suppressed the cough reflex. For further treatment and speedy recovery you need to dry cough becomes wet. Expectoration of mucus from the respiratory tract help extract, anise fruit, black radish with honey, and herbal decoction mother and stepmother, and elecampane.
It should be noted that recipes of traditional medicine can also lead to negative consequences if the receipt of these funds will be uncontrolled. Any method of treatment you should discuss with your doctor.
Frequent attacks of dry cough lead to loss of moisture. To prevent dehydration and alleviate the patient's condition will help the hot water adding to it lemon juice and honey. If the patient is not hypersensitive to one of these components, it should drink up to 2 liters per day of this liquid. The water should be hot but not boiling water.
Steam inhalation with essential oils will help to moisturize the nasal mucosa. In the room where the patient is encouraged to increase the level of humidity (if required), as the dry air in the room or outside can cause attacks of dry cough.
In addition to home ways treat dry cough steam baths, the doctor may recommend to undergo this therapy in a medical facility. A nebulizer is a specialized device that generates an aerosol cloud of microparticles of drugs. This method of treatment is allowed and highly effective in children in the first years of their lives.
Gargling with saline solution is also the old-fashioned method of treatment of cough. Preference is given to the solution prepared from sea salt, as it contains many beneficial elements. Dry cough irritates the throat, which, in turn, reflexively responds to the new stimulus fits of coughing. To soothe the throat, you can use special lozenges or medicinal lozenges. They contain essential oils and anesthetics local action.