How to do inhalation with a cold?
How to conduct inhalation at a cold at home? What procedures are useful when cold? This info want to many, because in the season of colds reliable means for the treatment are pulmonary to help with coughs, colds, sore throat.
Causes of runny nose
The medical name for the common cold - rhinitis. It is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa. Can often be a symptom of various diseases, such as sinusitis, influenza, measles. Based on the causes of the common cold, there are:
- Infectious - caused by viruses or bacteria.
- Allergic (“hay fever”) is the body's response to any allergen.
- Vasomotor develops because of violations of the neuro-reflex mechanisms of reaction to such stimuli as cold air, strong odors. Chronic may cause the development of asthma, lung diseases.
- Atrophic - induced chronic lesion and atrophy of the nasal mucosa and its nerve endings. Causes - genetic factors (race, heredity), metabolic disorders, lack of vitamins and nutrients, all kinds of infections.
- Traumatic - occurs due to various injuries of the nasal mucosa mechanical, chemical and thermal origin.
Can be both acute and chronic. Sharp usually has an infectious etiology. Is running or chronic form of acute or due to other factors.
Factors that can influence the development of rhinitis:
- Exposure to chemical or physical stimuli (cold air, toxic substances in the air, dust, combustion products, etc.).
- And hormonal disorders of the endocrine system, nervous disorders, chronic diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
- The intake of certain drugs (vasoconstrictor nose drops).
- Postoperative complications, trauma.
- Genetic predisposition, features of the anatomical structure of the nose.
Clinical manifestations of rhinitis
The symptoms of rhinitis may depend on the reasons that caused it, and also concomitant diseases:
- Swelling of mucous in the nasal cavities.
- The abundance of mucus, nasal congestion, which cause sneezing.
- Watery eyes, General malaise, increased body temperature.
- In chronic rhinitismay develop metaplasia (replacement of one tissue type to another) of the mucosa, proliferation (overgrowth) of the tissues of the mucous membrane, hypertrophy of vessel walls, increase their size and weight. All these factors lead to constant nasal congestion, decreased sense of smell.
- Vasomotor rhinitis causes thickening and swelling of the mucosa, metaplasia of its tissues, which contributes to the development of such symptoms as constant sneezing, profuse watery mucus from the nose, lacrimation, pallor or cyanosis of the mucous membrane of the nose.
- In atrophic rhinitis in the nose are formed crusts green color with an unpleasant odor, sense of smell atrophied, and the mucous membrane is dry.
If untreated, rhinitis may acquire a chronic form and contribute to the development of complications such as sinusitis (inflammation of sinuses), otitis media, pharyngitis, laryngitis, tracheitis.
Treatment of the common cold
To effectively get rid of a cold you must find out the reasons for its occurrence. It should be remembered that as the pharmaceutical preparations, and traditional medicines when used improperly can cause a variety of complications. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a doctor-otolaryngologist. For treatment of rhinitis, depending on its etiology, various methods applied
- Drug therapy: antiviral drugs, vitamins. With infectious etiology - antibiotics, vasoconstrictor drops, in the presence of purulent secretions - antiseptics and thinning means. Antihistamines - for allergic rhinitis origin.
- Additional methods of treatment: steam inhalation, feet steaming, nasal irrigation, and abundant use of liquid, oil products (in atrophic forms), breathing exercises, physiotherapy. We must not forget that any thermal procedures are contraindicated in the presence of heat.
- Traditional medicines used locally for making inside, as solutions for inhalation.
The role of inhalation in the treatment of rhinitis
An excellent tool for the treatment of runny nose is steam inhalation - inhalation of fumes of various medicines. The advantages of this method of treatment lies in rapid and long-lasting effect on the mucosa, providing effective and gentle impact on remote parts of the nasal cavity and upper respiratory tract, allowing you to use this method when I have children, so as not to injure the delicate nasal mucosa. Ease of carrying allows you to perform inhalation at home, amplifying the effectiveness of treatment.
contraindication to inhalation" alt="Temperature - contraindication to inhalation">Despite all the positive effects this method of treatment has a number of contraindications:
- Not conducted when temperatures are high.
- During pulmonary hemorrhage, emphysema.
- In the presence of heart failure, arrhythmia.
- In traumatic or spontaneous pneumothorax (accumulation of air or gas in the pleural cavity).
- In case of intolerance or allergic solutions for inhalation.
There are several methods of treatment steam inhalation:
- Inhalation of fumes of drugs over capacity. You need to cover yourself with a towel.
- Inhalation using a special device is a nebulizer.
The timing depends on the drugs used. The average time of inhalation of vapours - 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day. The course of treatment is 8-10 days.
A pair of deeply inhale nose for a few seconds, hold the air and exhale it with your mouth. To inhale and exhale should quietly, slowly.
Inhalation is carried out after 60 minutes after a meal. After the procedure should no within the hour to drink, take drugs, rinsing the mouth and nose, to smoke, to breathe in the cold air.
It is recommended not to eat within 3 hours after inhalation.
The tools used for inhalation
For conducting inhalation are various medicines, herbal decoctions, essential oils. The selection of the most suitable tools depends on the specific cases of the common cold and the individual characteristics of the condition and tolerance of certain preparations:
- Inhalation of water vapor without adding any substances contribute to the heating of the nasopharynx, which helps the body fight bacteria and viruses in the early stages of development of rhinitis.
- A variety of medicines. Their choice depends on the etiology of rhinitis: interferon - viral in nature; chlorophyllin, tonsilgon - bacterial rhinitis; Miramistin - in the presence of purulent secretions; nose - to relieve the swelling. The exact dosage, number and duration of procedures is prescribed by the attending physician.
- In atrophic rhinitis effective inhalation with olive oil and saline solution (2 drops, 5 ml).
- With allergic rhinitis it is preferable to carry out the procedure with a nebulizer. Recommended dosage solutions: hypertonic saline and physiological decoction of herbal (chamomile, oregano, peppermint leaves and Linden flowers (6 tbsp), eucalyptus essential oil (3-4 drops zalivat 1 liter of boiling water).
- For inhalation with a nebulizeryou can also use mineral water.
- Alcohol tincture of calendula in combination with saline.
- If chronic rhinitis is recommended by inhalation with a mixture of infusion of mother and stepmother (15 g/200 ml water) and decoction of leaves and stems of BlackBerry (20 g/200 ml water), inhalations with essential oils of eucalyptus, fir, juniper, menthol (5-6 drops per 1 litre, not to heat the solution to 85° C), inhalation of tincture of pine buds, peppermint and eucalyptus leaves (pour mixture of 1 liter of boiling water).
Timely and proper conduct of inhalation, along with other treatments prescribed by your doctor, will help to get rid of a cold.