What you can treat dry cough in children?
Every parent begins to worry when there is a dry cough in a child than to treat him? What causes this symptom? What drugs can relieve severe coughing? Coughing is a natural function of the body, which is aimed at preventing airway foreign agents.
A dry cough occurs in children for a variety of reasons:
- influenza, SARS, acute respiratory infections;
- the inhalation of small objects, which cause irritation of the larynx;
- inflammation in the upper respiratory tract: bronchitis, tracheitis, bronchial asthma;
- allergic reactions;
- dry air in the room;
- cigarette smoke, polluted air in the street;
- cancer of the lungs;
- congenital malformations of the heart.
Given that the cough may not only develop because of the presence of infectious or viral diseases, but also signal more serious diagnoses, signs you need to consult a doctor for advice. Only a doctor have to prescribe medicinal drugs as self-medication can have dire consequences.
Treatment of dry cough
Dry cough in children, all therapeutic measures should be discussed with a doctor, as the recovery procedure takes place with some peculiarities:
- High probability of development of side effects, allergic reactions and overdose. This is particularly relevant issue in children up to 2 years. Many drugs have age restrictions, so only a consultation with a physician and full compliance with all recommendations will allow you to avoid unpleasant moments.
- Most drugs cough causes drowsiness, dizziness, so children need to give before bed to a child to be able to relax.
- Children under 2 years are not recommended to give expectorant medicines, as at this age they have not yet learned how to expectorate phlegm.
- Any disease produce toxins in the body, so treatment must include plenty of warm drinks.
You should be prepared to provide emergency assistance in case of dry cough. Almost always a dry cough is accompanied by seizures in which the child is unable to cough and he has a lack of air. If the child does not provide correct and timely help, it may lead to asphyxia. In such cases, you must perform the following steps:
- unbutton in the area of the neck area;
- to call an ambulancehelp;
- a baby to turn back to him and slightly tilted down, and then run the small pats between the shoulder blades;
- if the cause of the asthma was an allergic reaction or bronchial asthma, it is necessary to give a child an inhaler.
What drugs should only tell a doctor, but the principle of treatment in almost all cases, is standard.
First and foremost, with dry cough child prescribe medicines that act on the specific center in the medulla oblongata.
This center is responsible for coughs, so all drugs have the principle of peripheral and Central effects. They are prescribed not for all kinds of dry cough, only in the case of severe attacks, accompanied by vomiting or convulsions.
Special attention should be paid to the instruction to all antitussive drugs. It is forbidden to take those medicines, which contain narcotic substance.
Children under 2 years of dry cough is better to treat with herbal remedies, but here we must be careful with allergic reactions.
At the slightest manifestations of Allergy one should immediately stop taking the cough syrups.
In many cases the treatment of dry cough standard. Prescribed the following medications:
- Cough with a reflex action. They block the signal from the brain that slows down the process of sputum discharge.
- Mucolytics. They are necessary for the liquefaction of sputum and its exit to the outside.
- Cough medicines to liquefy the phlegm. The main active ingredient of these medicines is soda, ammonium chloride.
Any treatment will be effective only if proper care of the child. Regular walks in the fresh air, wet cleaning, airing will make the healing process fast.
Physiotherapy is recommended to perform with any dry cough, in addition, which is caused by allergies. Most often, dry heat, inhalation therapy with the use of herbal baths with essential oils, aromatherapy.
But all these methods of treatment for cough should be used with caution in order not to provoke an allergic swelling of the Airways.
Excellent job with the cough, hot compresses, mustard plasters. Ointments, compresses you can buy at the pharmacy or make them yourself. It is forbidden to make warming procedures in the fieldheart.
Traditional methods of treatment of dry cough in children
- To alleviate bouts of severe coughing, reduce their symptoms will help the infusion of pine sticks. For its preparation you need 0.5 liters of milk to boil and add 1 tablespoon of pine buds. Insist broth for one hour and given a warm 50 ml every 2 hours. If the child doesn't like boiled milk, then you can instead take plain water. A more pleasant taste to give the young spruce shoots.
- The fat badger, goat, sheep is excellent as a means of warming. Perform the procedure it is possible only in the absence of temperature of the baby. Enough to slightly melt the fat and RUB the chest and upper back, wrap a warm scarf. Such procedures can be performed several times a day.
- This fat can be taken internally with warm milk or tea. If the child is not drinking beverages with fat, in pharmacy special capsule with him.
- Radish. It acts as mucolytic agent, helps bring the phlegm on the surface. To prepare the drug in two ways. For example, cut a small hole in the radish and put 1 tsp. of honey. The resulting juice drink 1 teaspoon 4-5 times a day. Can a radish cut into small pieces, sprinkle with sugar and place in the oven and wait until begins to stand out juice. It also take 1 teaspoon 4-5 times a day.
- Onions can be used as syrups, compresses. Syrups are prepared from the bow on the same principle, that of radish. The vegetable should be ground and mixed with sugar. Take small portions 2 times a day. This medication not all children will be able to drink without problems, as the taste will be quite unpleasant. Warm up the onions must be cut into pieces, fry in a dry pan and applied on the area of the trachea.
- Onion, garlic is recommended to use as aromatherapy. It is desirable cut into small pieces and put in the headboard.
- The juice of aloe leaves helps not only to neutralize a dry cough, but also to strengthen the child's immune system. Enough to take butter and honey in equal proportions, mixed with a few leaves of aloe, which previously was in the fridge at least 10 days. Ready to give the mixture 4-5 times a day before meals.
- Cakes made of honey and mustard can be used instead of the regular mustard. They need to take a spoonful of honey, add mustard powder, vodka and vegetable oil. All of this mix and form a pellet. In the first minutes you must control the reaction of the skin because honey is a strong allergen.
What else is recommended
- Boiled potatoes in their skins helps ascompresses. It is necessary to boil a few potatoes in their skins, mash these and add 2 drops of vegetable oil. From the warm mass to form a pellet and applied to the chest and back of the child. Such procedures are best performed at night.
- Coughing helps to calm the compress of honey and fat. In equal proportions mix the fat and honey, ready mix plaster foot, chest, back.
- Excellent warming effect has camphor oil. You can RUB the chest and back at night. If the child has no temperature, it is recommended to use warm foot baths. For best effect you can add mustard. After the procedure feet should wear wool socks.
All the recipes of folk medicine are effective and useful only in the case of a full consultation with your doctor.
Dry cough is always painful for a child. To quickly alleviate the unpleasant symptoms, you must consult a doctor and strictly follow all the recommendations.