How to use ammonia anise cough drops?
Many childhood remember ammonia-anise cough drops. Usually, pediatricians prescribe them in the treatment of cough and bronchitis. They are effective at dealing with both dry and wet cough. And a few days after the start of treatment, the patient felt better. The drug compares favorably with the lack of cloyingly-sweet taste that pleases children and adults. Also it has no harmful chemical substances. Pleasantly pleased price. In pharmacies, the drug is hard to find, because pharmacology is not profitable to sell cheap goods.
The first mention of "drops of Danish king" (as writers sometimes called anise drops) was found in the first pharmaceutical portal "Pharmacopoea Danica, issued in 1772 in Denmark.
Further, in many Danish, Dutch and German pharmacopoeias repeated the recipe drops: extract of liquorice, dill water and ammonia solution, anise oil.
But in these directories there was no extra information and can only assume that some of Ringelman whose name is indicated in the title, was the developer of these drops or is involved in their manufacture. Many historians have assumed that this elixir was brought to Russia in the late XIX century from Germany. But the theory is not true. A few years after the appearance of "Pharmacopoea Danica" the Russian state medical Board issued a Handbook called "Evaluating the drugs." Another called it "pharmaceutical Charter, the Charter of the midwives", "Charter of the Board medical needs the ranks". Among the many names can be seen and Elixir Pectorale Regis Daniae,.. elixir thoraco a Danish king".
Recipe aniseed drops almost without change reprinted several centuries. Only in the first half of the twentieth century is gripe water began to add the usual. Elixir has kept the popularity thanks to the excellent otharkivajushchim and anti-inflammatory effect.
Composition and dosage form
Ammonia-anise drops (Liquor ammonii anisatus) is produced in opaque brown bottles at 15, 25, 40 and 100 ml. properties of glass protect the drug from harmful sun rays and other external factors. Drops is a transparent, colorless or pale yellow liquid with a strong odor of ammonia and anise. 100 g of drops contains:
- anise oil - 3.3 g;
- ammonia - 16.7 g;
- alcohol 90% - ' 80
Anise belongs to the family Umbelliferae. Outwardly, it resembles dill. Inthe seeds of this plant contain anise oil, which has a large amount of anethole. Thanks to this substance the plant has a pronounced therapeutic properties.
Anise oil, on the basis of which is made of drops, not only has expectorant effect, but also contributes to the temperature decrease. It also improves the functioning of gastrointestinal tract, speeds up intestinal peristalsis, possesses carminative action, which improves the condition of the patient flatulence. It helps to relieve vomiting and nausea, occurring in the nervous system. In some cases, treatment of anise oil relieves constipation. In addition, the essential oil of anise has anti-inflammatory action, which is beneficial to the kidneys and bladder.
Drops intended for the treatment of respiratory diseases. Ingestion there is a rapid absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. In respiratory system it flows through the blood vessels. Active components of the drug help liquefy the sputum. Anise oil improves the functioning of the bronchial glands, of the gastro-intestinal tract, in addition, has a mild bactericidal action.
Ammonia-anise drops from wet cough due to the active substances accelerate the natural process of cleansing the bronchi. This sticky mucus liquefies and is easier removed from the body of the patient. In the treatment of anisic drops of relapses and complications of the disease are practically not observed. They also contribute to regeneration of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.
This medicine effectively and with dry cough as it helps to reduce the pain. It promotes a speedy recovery in the treatment of complex forms of colds.
Diseases in which designate ammonia-anise drops
Ammonia-anise drops are prescribed to adults and children in complex treatment of respiratory diseases of different Genesis.
- Bronchitis is a respiratory disease in which inflammation affects the bronchi. There is irritation and swelling of the mucous membranes, produces a large quantity of thick mucus that clog the small bronchioles. Because of this the patient is experiencing bouts of coughing that leads to sputum production. In most cases accompanied by shortness of breath. The most common cause of the development of bronchitis is the activity of bacterial, viral or atypical organisms. In rare cases, the diseasecalled a fungal infection.
- Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx, which is manifested on the background of the common cold or acute viral infections. Sometimes develops simultaneously with whooping cough, measles, scarlet fever. Can occur in acute or chronic form. In this disease the patient has loss of voice, difficulty breathing and a "barking" cough. Non-pharmacological treatment may develop life-threatening complications.
- Pharyngitis. This is the name of a respiratory disease in which the inflamed mucous membranes and lymphoid tissue of the pharynx. The patient complains of discomfort and pain in the throat, irritation and dryness. The main causes of the condition include breathing in hot, cold or polluted air, chemical irritation. Sometimes called the development of pathogenic viruses and bacteria.
- Tracheitis is a disease of the upper respiratory tract, in which there is inflammation of the mucous membrane of the trachea. Rarely occurs as an independent disease, is usually accompanied by laryngitis, bronchitis, pharyngitis. The main symptom of bronchitis is a dry cough at night and morning time.
- Bronchopneumonia (lobular pneumonia) is an acute inflammation of the walls of the bronchioles. Affects only a small part of the lung. Symptoms can be different in severity, the healing process goes on for a long time. In many cases relapse. This files most often diagnosed in children first years of life and older patients. Is called influenza virus, mixed infection or cocci.
- Whooping cough is an infectious respiratory disease. Has high transmissibility. Is caused by special micro-organisms Bordetella pertussis. This files most often diagnosed in children of preschool and younger school age. In children under 2 years may pose a threat to life.
Method of application and dosage
Ammonia-anise drops should be taken three times per day. Strictly forbidden in undiluted form. High alcohol content could cause burns of the mucous membranes and poisoning. According to the instructions drops should be diluted with warm water. For adults a single dose is 15 drops, children assigned the number corresponding to the child's age. The solution is to add sugar. For example, a three year old give 3 drops three times a day. Shouldn't be zamorazhivaniem and take drops without the advice of a physician.
Permitted use ammonia-aniseed drops for inhalation.
Elixir is considered one of the safest, but it has its contraindications. Not recommendedwhen:
- gastritis, ulcer diseases of stomach and duodenum;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- hypersensitivity to the active substances of the medication;
- in diseases of the liver;
- traumatic brain injuries.
Do not use simultaneously with drugs that have the opposite effect and suppress cough. Use with caution when treating young children.
Possible side effects and analogues
In rare cases, hypersensitivity to the medication there is an allergic reaction. Sometimes there may be nausea, vomiting, bronchospasm. Can impair concentration and to reduce the speed of psychomotor reactions.
The drug is completely identical to the ammonia-anise drops, does not exist. But similar therapeutic effects have a drug. These include:
- Tincture of eucalyptus. Used in inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract and in the treatment of laryngitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis. It can be used in the treatment of mild forms of neurotic disorders and skin lesions.
- Breast collection. Has a good expectorant in the treatment of inflammatory processes in the respiratory tract.
- Ambroxol. Used in the treatment of acute and chronic respiratory diseases (cystic fibrosis, tuberculosis, asthma).
- Pertussin. Is prescribed for treatment of pneumonia, whooping cough and other inflammations of the upper respiratory tract.
- Microtoxin. Take in the treatment of infectious-inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system that are caused by microorganisms sensitive to erythromycin.
Store anise cough drops is necessary in a cool, inaccessible for children place in vessels with ground stoppers, the expiry date is 2 years.