Why is there a wet cough and how to treat it?
Any cough: dry or wet - occurs because of the inflammatory process in the larynx that can be caused by an infection. If you produce a lot of sputum, cough is called a productive, if a little unproductive. Recovery is better when the child may cough up mucus, as with mucus leave the body of pathogenic microorganisms and dead cells-the defenders. The more active there is a discharge of phlegm, the sooner cleared the airway. To increase the amount of phlegm and facilitate the expectoration, apply thin phlegm means. Treatment should be organized only after diagnosis, then prescribed medication will be effective. To find out the cause of wet cough in children, you need to contact the pediatrician or a pediatric otolaryngologist.
Why is the child coughing?
Most often, a cough is a symptom of colds, which are caused by a viral or bacterial infection. The following diseases cause wet cough:
- bronchial asthma;
- abscess of the lung.
In adults the expectoration of small amounts of phlegm may be caused by Smoking, in this case, the sputum is white or light yellow color.
With the help of cough lungs, bronchi and trachea are cleared from the combustion products of tobacco. Increased productivity of the mucosa may indicate allergies, for example, inhalation of irritating substances. In most cases, the Allergy is accompanied not only by the cough, and edema of the mucosa of the larynx that makes breathing difficult. In character of sputum can be expected to diagnose the child as follows:
- copious liquid sputum indicates an active inflammatory process in the Airways;
- blood and blotches of rust-coloured sputum may be a manifestation of inflammation of the lungs;
- when lung abscess, the sputum has a specific odor, it differs pus;
- for bronchial asthma is characteristic of a whitish and viscid mucus, when coughing exhaust;
- the sputum of any color: from yellow and white to green and can occur when the trachea and bronchi.
In addition to the color and consistency of sputum, to determine the exact disease is important and many other factors, so the diagnosis must only deal with a professional doctor. For colds and other characteristic symptoms are:
- the increase in temperature over 37.5 degrees;
- weakness, lethargy, rapidfatigue;
- headache, heaviness in the head;
- muscle pain, pain in the joints;
- stool disturbances, especially in young children;
- loss of appetite, nausea;
- in addition to the cough, possible runny nose, sneezing.
After determining infection and the specific pathogen treatment:
- in viral infections, antiviral drugs, for example: Aflubin, Arbidol, Anaferon and other;
- in bacterial infections antibiotics such as: Amoxicillin, Carbenicillin, Penicillin or derivatives thereof;
- pneumonia - antibiotics and anti-inflammatories;
- in bronchial asthma, antihistamine and steroid drugs.
To exercise both General, and local assistance the immune system, created many tools to aid the victim. Cure wet cough can be in the form of:
- solution for inhalation at home;
- lozenges and lollipops for sucking;
- liquid and dry mixtures;
- of sprays and sprays-showers for irrigation of the nasopharynx mucosa;
- medicinal plant collections for brewing and gargling.
Many manufacturers combine anti-inflammatory compounds with antibacterial or antiviral, to provide a complex effect on the inflammatory process.
To pick up medications for each specific case needs a doctor. If the child has a viral infection, the antibiotics will not have any positive effects but only harm the intestinal flora. Young children on the background of the unreasonable prescription of antibiotics may lead to intestinal dysbiosis, stool disturbances and digestive disorders. To remove painful cough in children help tools such as Dr. mom in the form of syrup and tablets for sucking, Fluditec, Ambroxol. Symptomatic drugs are not directed against the cause of the ailment, they only temporarily relieve the condition of the victim. To reduce cramps and sore throat you can apply Pertussin or Bromhexine. The composition of these medicines includes extracts of medicinal plants. All drugs should be used in accordance with the instructions, and with the appearance of allergic reactions immediately contact the pediatrician.
What are the signs of pneumonia?
The first signs of pneumonia are very similar to the beginning of a bronchitis or ORVI. The child's temperature rises, in some cases slightly, in some - up to 39.5 degrees. Cough veryproductive, leaves a lot of phlegm. The color of sputum varies from white to yellow and green. Sputum is viscous and slimy, leaves easily. The child loses appetite, becomes lethargic, it increases perspiration. If the temperature is above 38.5 degrees begin to show signs of intoxication:
- disorder of the chair;
In infants and children under one year pneumonia in a short time can be fatal, so if suspected pneumonia should be treated in the ambulance, the doctor examined the child.
The respiratory system observed the following violations:
- breathing becomes shallow and more frequent;
- shortness of breath;
- sometimes audible wheezing.
If during coughing and breath the victim feels severe chest pain, and sputum appear blotches of blood and mucus red color, hospitalization is required. Timely diagnosis of pneumonia is the key to successful recovery. To treat pneumonia methods of folk medicine dangerous, because lost time allows the disease to progress to a fatal outcome.
Temperature indicates that the immune system is actively fighting the infection. Any local heating will help the infection to spread over a larger area. During warming procedures blood vessels dilate, their walls become more permeable. Infection easily enters the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body. Only a day after normalization of temperature permitted inhalations, hot foot baths and other physiotherapy treatment.
How to cope with a cough?
Cough caused by bronchitis, laryngitis or tracheitis, definitely needs attention of a specialist. Without well-chosen treatment, the disease may take a chronic character, in this case it will be difficult to get rid of.
What not to do, if the cough is accompanied by fever above 37.5 degrees:
- warm up the child in the tub, bath, sauna;
- soar feet in hot water;
- do any steam inhalation, such as to inhale the steam from the potatoes;
- apply on the throat and breast are socks with heated salt and hot compresses;
- the use of cupping, mustard and pepper patch.
What is the prognosis for recovery?
The treatment of such life-threatening conditions as pneumonia and lung abscess should be carried out in a hospital. Colds: bronchitis, laryngitis, tracheitis and others are treated at home. Traditionally, the doctor prescribes:
- antibiotics or antiviral drugs;
- the cure for the expectoration;
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agentsimprove the health of the patient, to reduce the temperature;
- if there is swelling of the mucous membrane, antihistamines.
In addition to this you can use diet, excessive drinking, inhalation, heating and other methods in coordination with the pediatrician. Wet cough in children with mild colds should pass in 1-2 weeks. If during this period there is no improvement, then, in the course of the disease there have been complications. For a speedy recovery and responsibly to implement all recommendations of the attending physician, and not to skip to end self-medication.